Made lunch for Japan Up! magazine June issue.
June Bride Bento!!!
It's omelette-rice that looks like a bride:)
I made ketchup-rice by frying about 160g of rice and seasoned with ketchup (about 2tbs), salt and pepper. Use more or less seasonings to your taste.
For filings, you can use anything that goes well with ketchup.
I like to put ham, cheese or chicken!
Make 2 rice balls for a head and a body.
Gather the ends of plastic wrap.
Transfer to a bento box.
To creates hair, cut a piece of seaweed as shown and make slits for easier wrapping.
(as shown with white lines)
Then wrap the cut nori around the top of a rice ball.
For the dress, I make a thin egg white sheet and fold to look like a dress!
Below is the directions for regular thin egg sheet.
For a thin egg white sheet, you just need to replace 1 egg to 1 egg white.
Thin Egg Sheet
- 1 Egg
- 1pinch Salt
- 1/2tsp Potato starch, dissolved in 1/2tsp water (to make a egg sheet less breakable)
- Mix egg, salt and potato starch/water with a fork.
- Strain the egg mixture.
- Heat a non-stick pan over low heat.
- Add a little oil and wipe with kitchen paper.
- Add the egg mixture in the pan.
- Cook over low heat until the surface look not very liquidy. (only takes a couple minutes)
- Turn off the heat and put a lid. Let the remaining heat cook the egg completely.
- Carefully peel it off from the pan.